Based in San Diego, CA, Escient Pharmaceuticals is a start-up biotech company strategically focused on unleashing the therapeutic potential of specific orphan GPCRs, including a novel family of Mas-Related G-Protein Receptors (Mrgprs), for a broad range of therapeutic indications. We will initially pursue drugs for neuro-immuno-inflammatory and autoreactive diseases. Our diverse team at Escient shares a passion for discovering and developing therapies for underserved patients that will positively change the course of their health and well-being. In addition, we share a passion for creating a unique and highly sought-after culture of authenticity, open communication, transparency, integrity, mutual respect, and freedom to brainstorm and share your thoughts and ideas at even the highest level.
Of immediate need to Escient is an Administrative Assistant to proactively provide support across the teams and throughout the organization. This role will require an individual who is self-driven, highly organized, communicative and one who possesses the innate ability to make the most out of every hour worked. The responsibilities of this role will include management of team member calendars and travel, coordination of meetings, office supply inventory management, etc. The individual must be comfortable with, and thrive in, a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment which necessitates a hands-on approach at all levels.
RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Foster a culture of authenticity, open communication, transparency, integrity, mutual respect, and freedom to brainstorm and share thoughts and ideas within the team and across the company;
- Greet and professionally interact with visitors, answer phones, file, photocopy, scan, fax and perform general clerical and administrative support functions;
- Respond to various inquiries for information according to general guidelines;
- Order office supplies and maintain the kitchen and supply rooms stocked to a recommended level. Ensures supply needs are met, including online purchasing;
- Sort credit card receipts for monthly reconciliation;
- Manage incoming and outgoing mail, including express carrier shipments and daily sorting of mail;
- Manage staff calendars with effective prioritization and anticipation of needs; weekly/daily look ahead of calendar conflicts and timely resolution;
- Coordinate meetings, including set-up (audio/video conferencing); notifications; manage conference room details; catering; and copying and distribution of meeting materials;
- Help with unexpected business situations such as schedule changes, requests for information, etc.;
- Support team members with domestic and international travel through timely, cost effective and accurate coordination of travel schedules, hotel rooms, travel details, and prompt processing of expense reports;
- Prepare and edit presentations, spreadsheets, and general communications;
- Exercise discretion with the handling of confidential material and information;
- Maintain tracking tools as requested by staff;
- Maintain paper and electronic files;
- Function as the primary point of contact with the building manager for office repairs or regular maintenance; and assist with overall facility needs including management of office access key cards;
- Organize onsite/offsite events and special events;
- Handle conference registrations for R&D and Business staff;
- Maintain professional memberships for team members; and
- Assist with any other administrative duties as required or assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS include the following:
- A minimum of 5-7 years of experience in a biotech/pharmaceutical company preferred;
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment while maintaining a high level of confidentiality and professionalism;
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office; and
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, hands-on research and development environment;
- Effective at planning, organizing, and prioritizing;
- Able to handle multiple tasks and deliver high quality results under tight timelines;
- High attention to detail and accuracy;
- Adaptable to change;
- Work independently and as a team player
- Intuitive, able to anticipate needs and develop options; problem solver;
- Effective troubleshooting and problem-solving skills;
- Flexible and adaptable to change;
- Adept at building strong relationships and collaborating with colleagues at all levels;
- Effective team player and strong individual contributor;
- Highly collaborative, self-motivated, and team-oriented; and
- Excellent communicator in both oral and written form.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee will regularly be required to use their hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and telephone keypad or to write, as well as talk and hear. The employee will regularly be required to sit, stand, walk, talk and hear; use hands to handle or feel; see computer screens and read printouts; and reach with arms and hands. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to focus. As well, s/he may occasionally be required to lift up to 30 pounds.
If you thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment and are in search of a dynamic, multi-disciplinary team focused on discovering and developing therapies that will positively change the course of the health and well-being of underserved patients, we encourage you to apply. Escient Pharmaceuticals offers a positive and exciting work environment with competitive pay structures and benefits. Escient is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this position please email your cover letter and CV to HR@EscientPharma.com.