Based in San Diego, CA, Escient Pharmaceuticals is a clinical-stage biotech company strategically focused on unleashing the therapeutic potential of Mas-Related G-Protein Receptors (Mrgprs), for a broad range of therapeutic indications. Our diverse team at Escient shares a passion for discovering and developing therapies for unserved patients that will positively change the course of their health and well-being. In addition, we embrace a unique and highly sought-after culture of authenticity, open communication, transparency, integrity, mutual respect, and freedom to brainstorm and share one’s thoughts and ideas at every level.
Of immediate need to Escient is a Contract Manager/Paralegal to lead our contracting function. The successful candidate will be responsible for running the day-to-day contract activities which will include drafting, reviewing, finalizing, tracking, and filing all contracts including, but not limited to nondisclosure agreements, consulting agreements, master services agreements, and work orders. This individual will work together with the various departments across the company and outside counsel. The candidate must have the ability to work independently and as an effective and engaged team member in a fast-paced environment. Strong initiative, attention to detail, and follow-through are essential for this job. The ability to maintain confidentiality and to operate in the role with the highest of ethical standards and professionalism are required. Reporting to the CFO, this position is full time and can be based in San Diego or remote.
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Process approximately 5-10 new internal contract requests per week from start to finish, including (a) drafting of initial agreements using approved company Legal templates; (b) partnering with internal stakeholders to review scope and business terms; (c) reviewing vendors’ agreements and redlined versions; (d) collaborating with outside counsel when necessary to obtain legal input and guidance; and, (e) coordinating overall workflow of all agreements including, but not limited to, nondisclosure agreements, consulting agreements, master services agreements, and work orders
- Ensure proper document reviews and approvals with Finance, Legal, internal functional groups, and vendors as needed
- Strategically prioritize requests to facilitate rapid contract preparation, review, and finalization in a fast paced environment
- Keep up-to-date status for each agreement from initial request through signature for stakeholders’ information at any time through the initiation, review and finalization process using contract management system and SharePoint
- Initiate agreement signature process via DocuSign
QUALIFICATIONS include the following:
- Must have at least 5+ years of prior Paralegal experience in Biotech industry
- Paralegal Certification
- BS/BA degree
- Prior experience with preparation and review of R&D agreements in the Life Science industry
- Highly detail-oriented, proactive, motivated with a can-do attitude team member who is able to multi-task effectively and be adaptable to meet changing priorities
- Ability to handle highly confidential information with discretion
- Excellent contract and legal drafting ability accompanied by strong word processing, spreadsheet skills, and contracts database knowledge (Contract Logix)
- Proficient in keeping detailed records of all activities
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated professionalism; ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with vendors, internal and external stakeholders, and gain their trust and respect
- Committed to the values of integrity, accountability, and transparency
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee will regularly be required to use his/her hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and telephone keypad or to write, as well as talk and hear. The employee will regularly be required to sit, stand, walk, talk and hear; use hands to handle or feel; see computer screens and read printouts; and reach with arms and hands. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to focus. S/he may occasionally be required to lift up to 50 pounds.
If you thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment and are in search of a dynamic, multi-disciplinary team focused on discovering and developing therapies that will positively change the course of the health and well-being of underserved patients, we encourage you to apply. Escient Pharmaceuticals offers a positive and exciting work environment with competitive pay structures and benefits. Escient is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this position please email your cover letter and CV to email@example.com.