Escient is seeking a dynamic, creative and highly motivated individual for the position of Director of Business Development to source and execute new business opportunities, establish strategic partnerships, and manage alliances. This position is responsible for identifying new business opportunities that align with Escient’s corporate goals and objectives by scouting the industry and related events/public disclosures and interacting with academic, biotech, and pharma counterparts. This is a remote hybrid position and will require some travel.
The ideal candidate is forward thinking and creative with high ethical standards with experience in deal structure development, licensing partnership structuring, collaboration agreements negotiations, financial analyses, technical communication, transaction process management and project management. To be considered, candidates must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with drug development professionals and able to respond to changing priorities in a thoughtful, creative manner.
Primary responsibilities include:
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in biology or related field required. MBA and/or graduate level science degree with 5 – 7 years’ experience preferred. In lieu of graduate degree, 3 – 5 years of operating experience in R&D or sales and marketing at a commercial company is acceptable.
- Business development experience in healthcare consulting, investment banking, venture capital or the biotech industry highly preferred.
- Strong business development experience demonstrated through transactional experience as a BD/M&A professional, i.e., successful history of several business development transactions
- Extensive experience in deal structure development, licensing partnership structuring, collaboration agreements negotiations, financial analyses, technical communication, transaction process management and project management
- Hands-on experience successfully supporting the evaluation, negotiation, and closing a variety of large and complex licensing and/or partnership transactions in the biotechnology/pharmaceutical industry
- Demonstrated understanding of pharmaceutical product lifecycle management including drug development, FDA regulations, and commercialization paths
- Strong understanding of drug discovery and development, preferably in neurology and/or gene therapy
- Outstanding organizational, analytical, interpersonal and communication skills
- Proven ability to lead teams and multiple projects effectively with a high degree of independence
- Adaptability, flexibility, and willingness to work in a changing environment
- Experience with financial analysis and valuation of biopharmaceutical products and companies and advanced excel/modeling skills required
- A collaborative nature with the knowledge and understanding of the role and importance of working cross-functionally
- Self-starter, highly motivated, results-driven individual; ability to creatively solve problems
- Process-minded with the ability to operate strategically and adapt when appropriate to execute on defined goals in a timely manner
- Experience preparing and delivering presentations to senior management and Boards of Directors
- Familiarity with early stage business development and portfolio strategy
- Ability to travel
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee will regularly be required to use his/her hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and telephone keypad or to write, as well as talk and hear. The employee will regularly be required to sit, stand, walk, talk and hear; use hands to handle or feel; see computer screens and read printouts; and reach with arms and hands. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to focus.
If you thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment and are in search of a dynamic, multi-disciplinary team focused on discovering and developing therapies that will positively change the course of the health and well-being of underserved patients, we encourage you to apply. Escient Pharmaceuticals offers a positive and exciting work environment with competitive pay structures and benefits. Escient is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this position please email your cover letter and CV to email@example.com.