Based in San Diego, CA, Escient Pharmaceuticals is a start-up biotech company strategically focused on unleashing the therapeutic potential of specific orphan GPCRs, including a novel family of Mas-Related G-Protein Receptors (Mrgprs), for a broad range of therapeutic indications. We are initially pursuing drugs for neuro-immuno-inflammatory and autoreactive diseases. The diverse team at Escient shares a passion for discovering and developing therapies for underserved patients that will positively change the course of their health and wellbeing. In addition, we share a passion for creating a unique and highly sought after culture of authenticity, open communication, transparency, integrity, mutual respect, and freedom to brainstorm and share your thoughts and ideas at even the highest level.
Escient has an immediate need for a Research Associate/Sr. Research Associate, In Vitro Biology to join our discovery biology research group. The ideal candidate is a highly motivated individual with a high level of scientific curiosity. The Research Associate (Sr.), In Vitro Biologist will independently perform profiling of compounds and will be responsible for the maintenance of multiple cell lines. This role will aid in the design, optimization, and execution of novel in vitro cell-based compound screening assays in support of Escient’s drug discovery programs. The candidate must be comfortable with, and thrive in, a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment which necessitates a hands-on approach at all levels.
RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Independently perform tissue culture work, maintaining multiple cell lines including stable clones, transiently transfected cells and primary cells
- Independently perform profiling of compounds in established in vitro cell-based functional assays
- Assist in the design, optimization, and validation of novel in vitro cell-based functional assays
- Analyze and document experimental data in an electronic laboratory notebook and upload data into a shared database
- Present scientific data to colleagues and assist in the preparation of internal and external presentations (presentations, posters, and publications if needed)
- Aid in fostering a culture of authenticity, open communication, transparency, integrity, mutual respect, and freedom to brainstorm and share thoughts and ideas
- Work effectively in a fast-paced, multidisciplinary setting of chemistry, biology, pharmacology, supported by external CROs
- Communicate effectively within project teams and work to progress against goals in a multidisciplinary setting
- Perform other related in vitro based assays as required
QUALIFICATIONS include the following:
- B.S./M.S. in biology, biochemistry, pharmacology, or a related field with at least 3 years of practical experience to support small molecule drug development
- Experience and demonstrated competency in GPCR biology, tissue culture, and/or cell-based functional assays
- Detail oriented with excellent organization and recordkeeping skills
- Computer Software: advanced knowledge of Excel, Word, PowerPoint and GraphPad Prism
- Capable of working both independently and in a collaborative environment
- Alignment with the company’s culture
- Core Competencies
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, hands-on research and development environment
- Effective at planning, organizing, and prioritizing
- Able to handle multiple tasks and deliver high quality results under tight timelines
- High attention to detail and accuracy
- Effective troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Flexible and adaptable to change
- Adept at building strong relationships and collaborating with colleagues at all levels within Escient and with external CROs
- Effective team player and strong individual contributor
- Highly collaborative, self-motivated, and team-oriented
- Effective communicator in both oral and written form
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will regularly be required to use his/her hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and telephone keypad or to write, as well as talk and hear. The employee will regularly be required to sit, stand, walk, talk and hear; use hands to handle or feel; see computer screens and read printouts; and reach with arms and hands. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to focus. The employee will need to be able to stand for long periods of time in a laboratory setting including at the bench or in front of a hood. As well, the employee may occasionally be required to lift up to 50 pounds.
If you thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment and are in search of a dynamic, multi-disciplinary team focused on discovering and developing therapies that will positively change the course of the health and wellbeing of underserved patients, we encourage you to apply. Escient Pharmaceuticals offers a positive and exciting work environment with competitive pay structures and benefits. Escient is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this position please email your cover letter and CV to HR@EscientPharma.com.