Based in San Diego, CA, Escient Pharmaceuticals is a start-up biotech company strategically focused on unleashing the therapeutic potential of specific orphan GPCRs, including a novel family of Mas-Related G-Protein Receptors (Mrgprs), for a broad range of therapeutic indications. We will initially pursue drugs for neuro-immuno-inflammatory and autoreactive diseases. Our diverse team at Escient shares a passion for discovering and developing therapies for underserved patients that will positively change the course of their health and well-being. In addition, we share a passion for creating a unique and highly sought-after culture of authenticity, open communication, transparency, integrity, mutual respect, and freedom to brainstorm and share your thoughts and ideas at even the highest level.
Of immediate need to Escient is a Scientist 1 to join our discovery biology research group. The ideal candidate is a highly motivated individual with a high level of scientific curiosity. S/he must possess experience with knock out animals and cell lines; and possess a willingness to learn and try new, novel approaches. This role will participate in the design, planning, execution and interpretation of complex in vivo studies focused on identifying small molecules within a broad range of therapeutic indications. The candidate must be comfortable with, and thrive in, a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment which necessitates a hands-on approach at all levels.
RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Participate in the design, planning, execution and interpretation of complex in vivo and in vitro studies focused on uncovering functions of novel proteins and therapeutic indications;
- Assist in the design, optimization, and validation of novel in vitro cell-based functional assays;
- Independently perform profiling of compounds in established in vitro cell-based functional assays;
- Independently perform bench work (to include cell culture, flow cytometry, ELISA, cell-based assays, etc.) in order to validate the viability of replication;
- Analyze and document experimental data in an electronic laboratory notebook, upload data into a shared database and prepare technical reports;
- Present scientific data to colleagues and assist in the preparation of internal and external presentations (presentations, posters, and publications if needed);
- Communicate effectively within project teams and work to progress against goals in a multidisciplinary setting;
- Work effectively in a fast-paced, multidisciplinary setting of chemistry, biology, pharmacology, supported by external CROs; and
- Perform other related duties as required.
QUALIFICATIONS include the following:
- PhD in pharmacology, immunology, neuroscience or relevant biological discipline, (with 3 or more years of industry work experience preferred), or a Master’s degree with 6 or more years of industry experience;
- Proven track record in validating/implementing animal models and experience with transgenic and knockout mice;
- A broad understanding of cellular and molecular pharmacology concepts within a disease setting is ideal;
- Experience with cell culture including, primary cell lines, neurons, transformed cell lines and ex-vivo explants;
- A thirst for knowledge and scientific curiosity; and a willingness to try new novel approaches;
- Proficiency in laboratory bench skills such as Western blots, qPCR, flow cytometry, microscopy, microplate reader, histology and molecular biology;
- A desire to perform hands-on in vivo and in vitro biological experiments in a fast-paced research and development environment;
- Proven track record of good experimental design, in-depth data analysis and interpretation based on strong scientific rationale;
- Computer Skills: Advance knowledge of Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Graphpad prism;
- Alignment with the company’s culture; and
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, hands-on research and development environment;
- Effective at planning, organizing, and prioritizing;
- Able to handle multiple tasks and deliver high quality results under tight timelines;
- High attention to detail and accuracy;
- Effective troubleshooting and problem-solving skills;
- Flexible and adaptable to change;
- Adept at building strong relationships and collaborating with colleagues at all levels;
- Effective team player and strong individual contributor;
- Highly collaborative, self-motivated, and team-oriented; and
- Effective communicator in both oral and written form.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee will regularly be required to use his/her hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and telephone keypad or to write, as well as talk and hear. The employee will regularly be required to sit, stand, walk, talk and hear; use hands to handle or feel; see computer screens and read printouts; and reach with arms and hands. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to focus. The employees need to be able to stand for long periods of time in a laboratory setting including in front of a hood and at the bench. As well, they may occasionally be required to lift up to 50 pounds.
If you thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment and are in search of a dynamic, multi-disciplinary team focused on discovering and developing therapies that will positively change the course of the health and well-being of underserved patients, we encourage you to apply. Escient Pharmaceuticals offers a positive and exciting work environment with competitive pay structures and benefits. Escient is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this position please email your cover letter and CV to HR@EscientPharma.com.