Based in San Diego, CA, Escient Pharmaceuticals is a start-up biotech company strategically focused on unleashing the therapeutic potential of specific orphan GPCRs, including a novel family of Mas-Related G-Protein Receptors (Mrgprs), for a broad range of therapeutic indications. We will initially pursue drugs for neuro-immuno-inflammatory and autoreactive diseases. Our diverse team at Escient shares a passion for discovering and developing therapies for underserved patients that will positively change the course of their health and well-being. In addition, we share a passion for creating a unique and highly sought-after culture of authenticity, open communication, transparency, integrity, mutual respect, and freedom to brainstorm and share your thoughts and ideas at even the highest level.
This Sr. Research Associate 1 position will work within the In Vivo Biology Department conducting a wide range of in vivo experiments evaluating the pharmacokinetics, efficacy and toxicity of novel therapeutic compounds in support of Escient’s drug discovery programs. Key responsibilities include the execution of mouse in vivo pharmacology studies including but not limited to general laboratory duties, planning and set-up of experiments, data compilation and analysis and animal husbandry activities. Experience in animal model development and/or breeding and maintaining mouse colonies is highly desirable and expertise in mouse oral gavage, intraperitoneal and subcutaneous injection is required. This is a growth and learning opportunity in a small company environment.
RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Participate in all in vivo studies in collaboration with the entire preclinical team;
- Perform various tasks in support of the experiments which includes study file preparation, animal procurement, compound formulation, and sample and data collection;
- Participate in pharmacology (acute and chronic), toxicity and PK studies in rodents using multiple administration routes;
- Demonstrate good record keeping including maintaining detailed laboratory notebooks and adhere to study protocols.
- Document accurate clinical observations and behavioral scoring in a variety of animal models;
- Assist with the breeding and maintenance of multiple mouse colonies using colony management software;
- Handle the preparation and preliminary analysis of data;
- Prepare detailed summaries of studies, accurately and comprehensively document experimental data in an electronic laboratory notebook and arrange for peer review;
- Present scientific data to colleagues and assist in the preparation of internal and external presentations;
- Aid in fostering a culture of authenticity, open communication, transparency, integrity, mutual respect, and freedom to brainstorm and share thoughts and ideas;
- Work effectively in a fast-paced, multidisciplinary setting of chemistry, biology, pharmacology, supported by external CROs;
- Communicate effectively within project teams and work to progress against goals in a multidisciplinary setting; and
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS include the following:
- B.S. in biology, biochemistry, pharmacology, or a related field with at least 3 years of practical experience supporting small molecule drug development;
- Demonstrated proficiency in the conduct of pharmacology and pharmacokinetic (PK) studies in rodents including animal handling, compound administration via multiple routes (IV, PO, SC, IP), blood and tissue collection, clinical and behavioral observations;
- Ability to follow detailed instructions relevant to the preparation of basic formulations including calculations (e.g., molarity, salt correction, dose volume, dose concentration);
- Familiar with PK sample processing and storage (centrifugation, preparation for extraction, sample shipment and storage conditions);
- Possesses strong record keeping skills and a high detail/accuracy orientation enabling participation in new and existing protocols;
- Ability to identify potential study issues and raise the issues to the attention of the team;
- Possesses a working knowledge of Excel, Word, PowerPoint and GraphPad prism;
- Capable of working both independently and in a collaborative environment;
- Alignment with the company’s culture; and
- Core Competencies:
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, hands-on research and development environment;
- Effective at planning, organizing, and prioritizing;
- Able to handle multiple tasks and deliver high quality results under tight timelines;
- High attention to detail and accuracy;
- Effective troubleshooting and problem-solving skills;
- Flexible and adaptable to change;
- Adept at building strong relationships and collaborating with colleagues at all levels within Escient and with external CROs;
- Effective team player and strong individual contributor;
- Highly collaborative, self-motivated, and team-oriented; and
- Effective communicator in both oral and written form.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee will regularly be required to use his/her hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and telephone keypad or to write, as well as talk and hear. The employee will regularly be required to sit, stand, walk, talk and hear; use hands to handle or feel; see computer screens and read printouts; and reach with arms and hands. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to focus. The employees need to be able to stand for long periods of time in a laboratory setting including in front of a hood and at the bench. As well, they may occasionally be required to lift up to 50 pounds.
If you thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment and are in search of a dynamic, multi-disciplinary team focused on discovering and developing therapies that will positively change the course of the health and well-being of underserved patients, we encourage you to apply. Escient Pharmaceuticals offers a positive and exciting work environment with competitive pay structures and benefits. Escient is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this position please email your cover letter and CV to HR@EscientPharma.com.